- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Fresh Fava Bean, Pancetta, and Yellow Pepper Soup. In Tuscany, by early summer these beans are ready for this delicious soup.
- 1 pound fava beans, shelled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 large yellow bell peppers, halved, seeded and de-ribbed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the beans for 1 minute. Drain and immerse immediately in ice water. Remove the skin from the beans by pinching off the end and squeezing the brightly colored beans out.
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta, onion, carrot, and celery and sauté, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove a few pieces of the pancetta for garnish, transfer to paper towels to Drain.
- Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the peppers and decrease the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the peppers are very tender. Purée the pepper mixture with an immersion blender, or transfer in batches to a blender and process until smooth. Add the fava beans and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnished with the reserved pancetta and serve at once.