- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/french-style-white-wine-mustard
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for home made French Style Mustard. Homemade mustards are simple to prepare and make impressive gifts from your kitchen. This is a coarse ground flavorful mustard.
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 3/4 cups plus 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- Makes 2 1/2 cups
- Soak mustard seeds in 3/4 cup dry white wine and 3/4 cup white wine vinegar for at least 4 hours (add more liquid, if necessary to keep seeds submerged).
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/3 cup white wine vinegar and 1/3 cup dry white wine with the shallots, garlic brown sugar, salt and spices. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until reduced by half (about 10-15 minutes). Pour reduced liquid through a strainer into mustard seed mixture. Process in food processor or blender until coarsely ground. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened (it will thicken more as it cools). Let cool and pack into clean jars and cover tightly. Store, refrigerated, for up to 2 years (although mustards do lose their potency with time).