- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 1, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/easy-homemade-tomato-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
This recipe for thick, tasty tomato basil soup is easy, quick, and high on taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; add the onion and garlic; cook for about 10 minutes until softened; stir in the basil, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable broth; bring to a boil; reduce heat and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season to taste with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- Next, use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Alternatively, you can purée it in a food processor or blender, but be careful, the soup will be very hot.
- Dish into bowls, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and serve.