- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/curried-chicken-with-apples-and-sweet-potatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe to cook Curried Chicken with Apples and Sweet Potatoes. This quick easy chicken curry recipe, from Chef Sam Gugino, is perfect for every night suppers.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 24 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, 12 to 16 ounces
- 1 medium onion, about 8 ounces
- 1 rib celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can low sodium, fat-free chicken broth, or equivalent homemade
- 1 large crisp apple such as Granny Smith
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2. Meanwhile, put a 12-inch sauté pan or Dutch oven over high heat. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Add the oil to the pan. Season the chicken with salt and add to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring once or twice to brown evenly.
- 3. While the chicken cooks, peel the sweet potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Remove the chicken to a platter. Add the sweet potato to the pan and stir. peel and chop the onion. Trim the celery and cut crosswise into crescents, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. Add the onion and celery to the pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- 4. Add the curry powder, cayenne, and flour to the pan. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth. Stir well, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, core and cut the apple into 1-inch cubes. Do not peel.
- 5. Add the chicken, apple and evaporated milk to the pan. Stir well, cover and bring to a boil again. Uncover and cook for about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring periodically. As the curried chicken cooks, chop cilantro. Serve the curry over rice sprinkled with cilantro.
- 1. Run the hot-water tap while you put the rice and 1 teaspoon salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Add 2 cups hot tap water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and keep covered until ready to serve. (Or put the rice, salt