- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Creole Corn Mush -- Kush Kush. The name of this dish is sometimes spelled couche-couche, and it's the Cajun way of turning mush into a potion so soothing it puts young and old to bed, as in coucher.
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups stone-ground white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar or cane syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- warm milk or half and half
- Stir hot water into the cornmeal then gradually add the milk. Beat in the egg, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and when it bubbles, pour in the corn batter. Lower heat and let the bottom crust over without stirring. As the crust forms, scrape it into the rest of the mush and continue until most of the mush is browned.
- Serve with a pitcher of warm milk or half and half.