- Recipe created by FabFood on Aug 26, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/coconut-curry-chickpea-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Coconut Curry Chickpea Soup. Coconut milk adds the flavor and richness, while curry powder gives this vegan soup a unique complexity.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 pound small red skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14 to 19 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon paced light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups (about 3 ounces) packed baby spinach
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- toasted sweetened shredded coconut (see tip below)
- 1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add curry powder and saute for 10 seconds. Add potatoes and stir to coat.
- 2. Add stock and coconut milk; cook for 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and zucchini; cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes and zucchini are tender. Stir in brown sugar and lime juice. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with coconut.
- To toast coconut, add it to a dry skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Transfer to a heatproof plate to cool.