- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/cinnamon-cranberry-challah-bread
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Cinnamon and Cranberry Challah Bread. This makes a festive egg bread that makes getting up in the morning a celebration!
- 1 cup warm water ( 105?-115? F)
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, 1 divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces sweetened dried cranberries
- Whisk together 3 eggs, 1 egg white (reserve yolk), oil, salt and cinnamon, in a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast mixture and 5-1/4 cups flour until soft dough forms. Add sweetened dried cranberries and with floured hands, knead dough. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup flour, knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large mixing bowl. Place dough in bowl and roll around so that it is lightly coated with grease. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Each half will make one braided loaf. To make a single braid: divide half into 3 equal pieces. Roll each into 14-inch rope. Braid dough and pinch ends to seal. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat steps with remaining dough.
- Cover shaped loaves and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400Â°F. Beat reserved yolk with 1 teaspoon water; brush loaves. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Place foil on tops of loaves if tops brown to quickly. Remove loaves to wire rack and cool completely.