- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chocolate-or-vanilla-pastry-cream
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Chocolate or Vanilla Pastry Cream. Pastry cream is very versatile, use it to fill pie or tart shells, cream puffs, a Boston Cream Pie or a jelly roll cake.
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces of semi-sweet or dark chocolate (optional)
- Makes 2 3/4 Cups
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups milk to boiling. While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining 1/4 cup milk. whisk in cornstarch and flour until smooth. Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking in about 1/3 of the heated milk, then whisking in remaining milk. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla (and melted chocolate if you\'re making a chocolate pastry cream) or other flavorings. Pour into a bowl, press plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and cool to room Temperature before chilling for at least 2 hours.