- Recipe created by FabFood on Aug 31, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/chocolate-and-vanilla-hoot-owl-cookies
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Chocolate and Vanilla Hoot Owl Cookies, a Pillsbury Bake-off winner from 1956. This classic cookie makes owl-shaped cookies, perfect for Halloween or anytime.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 80 semisweet chocolate chips (about 1/3 cup)
- 40 whole cashews (about 2/3 cup
- Makes 40 Cookies
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Start to Finish: 2 Hours
- 1. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy. beat in vanilla and egg. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt until dough forms. In a small bowl, place 1 cup of the dough; stir in melted chocolate and baking soda until well blended.
- 2. On a 12 X 8-inch sheet of plastic wrap, press half of the light dough to form a 10 X 4-inch strip. Shape half the chocolate dough into a roll 10-inches long; place on strip of light dough. Mold sides of light dough around chocolate dough; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut each roll into 40 (1/8 to 1/4-inch) slices; place 2 slices, sides touching, on ungreased cookie sheets to resemble owl faces. Pinch corner of each slice to form ears. Place chocolate chip in center of each slice for eyes; press whole cashew between slices for beak.
- 4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.
- High Altitude: (3500 to 6500 ft.)
- Decrease brown sugar to 3/4 cup; increase flour to 2 1/2 cups.
- Per Cookie:
- 110 Calories (60 Calories from Fat); 7g Total Fat; 3.5g Saturated Fat; 0g Trans Fat; 15mg Cholesterol; 170mg Sodium; 12g Total Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 7g Sugars; 1g Protein.
- % Daily Value:
- 2% Vitamin A; 0% Vitamin C; 2% Calcium; 4% Iron.
- 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Fat.
- Carbohydrate Choices: