- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 20, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/cecelia-chiang-s-eggplant-in-garlic-sauce
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Cecelia Chiang's Eggplant in Garlic Sauce, a wonderful side dish or vegetarian starter.
- 3 large Asian eggplants (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons premium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili oil
- 1 tablespoon Chiankiang black vinegar or good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 green onion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- Serve 4-6 as part of a Chinese Meal or 2-4 as a Western-style Side Dish
- Trim the eggplants. Cut them lengthwise in quarters and then again crosswise in 2 to 3 inch pieces. Fill the bottom of a steamer with water, bring the water to a boil over high heat, and set the eggplant pieces on a steamer tier (they don’t need to be put on a plate first) over boiling water. Cover and steam 4 minutes, or until soft when pressed with a chopstick. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To Make the Dressing: Whisk the soy sauce, chili oil, vinegar, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl until combined. To serve, toss the room temperature eggplant in half of the dressing and arrange it on a platter. Pour over the remaining dressing. Garnish with green onion.