- Recipe created by FabFood on Aug 21, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/carrie-levin-s-apple-scones
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup, or 1/2 stick) cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs (1 for glazing)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Granny Smith apple (peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes, about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the butter into small (1/4-inch) chunks, rewrap it in the paper, and return it to the refrigerator.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Beat 1 egg and combine it with the buttermilk.
- Thread the butter though the dry ingredients with thumb and fingers, getting it to a gravelly texture. Comb the buttermilk-egg mixture into the butter-flour "gravel" then add the apple cubes, blending through the batter just enough to be able to make two equal sized balls. Flatten the balls to 2 disks 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Now "pizza-slice' each disk into four sections. Put the scones on an ungreased cookie sheet. Beat the second egg and brush it on the scones as a glaze. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Quick, Muffins and Scones, Breakfast, Baked Goods, Pastries, Vegetarian, RV, Picnics, Gifts, Brown Bagging, Make Ahead, Kid Friendly, New Year's, Valentines Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, English/Irish/Scottish, Restaurant Recipes