- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
This delicious recipe for caramelized apple pie will delight your friends and family.
- 3 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges (Granny Smith, pippin, or golden delicious)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup applejack brandy or plain brandy
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh
- Prepare pastry crust.
- Preheat oven on bake at 375 degrees F. Pour 1/4 cup butter onto a baking tray. Arrange sliced apples on tray and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and cool. Increase oven temp to 400 degrees F.
- While apples are cooking, combine brandy, dried cranberries, lemon juice, and vanilla. Let stand 15 minutes and add cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, whipping cream, and butter. In a small saucepan, bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook until slightly thickened, stirring about 5 minutes. Add brandy mixture and continue to cook until thick, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Arrange cooled apples in a pastry shell. Sprinkle fresh cranberries and walnuts over the top. Pour cooked brandy mixture over the top, covering all the fruit.
- Place pie into 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and tent pie with aluminum foil. bake 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until filling is bubbly all over.
- Cool pie on rack and serve with vanilla ice cream.