- Recipe created by FabFood on Feb 22, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/california-pizza-kitchen-s-marinara-sauce
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for California Pizza Kitchen's Marinara Sauce, with spicy variation, a perfect pizza or pasta sauce with just the right seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 large (1/2 pound) Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Makes 1 Cup
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Do not allow it to smoke. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until it just begins to turn light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Do not allow the garlic to burn, as it will make the sauce bitter.
- 2. Add the remaining sauce ingredients except the tomato paste, and stir well. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce until all the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Stir int he tomato paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely before using. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Variation: Spicy Marinara Sauce
- Double the amount of garlic and add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes along with it. roughly chop 2 fresh basil leaves and stir into the sauce after adding the tomato paste.