- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/broiled-vegetable-sandwich
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Diabetic Friendly Broiled Vegetable Sandwich. This is a hearty sandwich, full of vitamins. Use the remaining vegetable ingredients to make a salad for the next day.
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped, pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 slice sweet red onion
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 dashes black pepper
- 1 (3-1/2-ounces) deli style rye roll
- 1 slice low-fat Swiss cheese
- Serves 1
- Place the zucchini strips in a small container with a lid and add the cider vinegar and jalapeno peppers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Set the oven to broil and spray the broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Drain the marinade from the zucchini mixture and place the strips on the broiler pan. Add the bell pepper, tomato and onion to the broiler pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Broil until the vegetables are brown and soft, about 15 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, carefully layer the vegetables on a roll and top with cheese. For more flavor, marinate all the vegetables for 8 hours before broiling.
- Note: This recipe is moderately high in sodium.
- Per Serving: 366 Cal; 7 g Total Fat (3 g Sat Fat); 59 g Carb; 10 mg Cholesterol; 759 mg Sodium; 19 g Protein; 8g Dietary Fiber; 10 g Sugars
- Exchanges: 4 Starch; 1 Lean Meat