- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Basic Turkey Gravy. Here's a classic turkey gravy, sans giblets, for those prefer their gravy without.
- 1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fat from poultry drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- poultry stock, warmed
- Makes About 4 Cups
- To make the gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour the poultry drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup stock to the roasting pan and stir until crusty brown bits are loosened: pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes until the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2 quart or larger saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3 1/2 cups. Gradually Whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook and stir until gravy boils and is slightly thick.