- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Basic Turkey Gravy. Here's a classic turkey gravy, sans giblets, for those prefer their gravy without.
- 1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fat from poultry drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- poultry stock, warmed
- Makes About 4 Cups
- To make the gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour the poultry drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup stock to the roasting pan and stir until crusty brown bits are loosened: pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes until the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2 quart or larger saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden.
Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3 1/2 cups. Gradually Whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook and stir until gravy boils and is slightly thick.