- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/basic-boiled-and-buttered-string-beans
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Basic Boiled and Buttered String Beans. Here are perfect cooked string beans thanks to expert advice from James Peterson.
- 2 tablespoons salt (for boiling beans)
- 1 pound string beans, ends snapped off and beans cuts in half or quartered crosswise if large
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large covered pot. Toss in the salt and as soon as the water returns to the boil, add the beans. Don't recover the pot. boil over high heat from 4 to 10 minutes or until the beans are cooked but retain an almost imperceptible crunch--you'll have to spoon one out and bite into it. Drain the beans in a colander--don't rinse them--and put them back in the pot. Toss or gently stir the beans over high heat for about 1 minute to dry them. Turn off the heat, add the butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until the butter coats the beans. Serve immediately.