- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Banana Meringue Pie, a diabetic friendly recipes from the Big Book of Diabetic Desserts.
- 9 low-far graham crackers, crumbled (use 9 whole rectangles)
- 2 tablespoons 67% vegetable oil butter-flavored spread, melted and cooled
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granular no-calorie sweetener
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon 100% dried egg whites or meringue powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Make Crust:
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. Place crumbled graham crackers in a food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in butter-flavored spread and egg white. Coat your hands lightly with cooking spray and press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate.
- 3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned (small cracks may appear). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make Filing:
- 1 . Combine the milk, egg, no-calorie sweetener, cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk until the cornstarch dissolves. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, about 6 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- 2. Transfer to a medium bowl and cover the surface of the filling with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Cool to room temperature and stir in the vanilla. Stir in the bananas and spoon the filling into the prepared crust. Cover the surface of the filling with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Make Meringue
- 1 . Preheat the broiler.
- 2. Combine the water and dried egg whites in a large bowl and beat at high speed for 5 minutes or until foamy. beat n the vanilla. Gradually beat in the sugar, beating 5 minutes longer or until stiff, glossy, and bright white.
- 3. Top the pie with the meringue, mounding in the center and spreading to the edges of the filling. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 Carbohydrate; 1 Fat.
- Nutritional Info per Serving: 225 Calories; 35 Calories from Fat; 4 g Total Fat; 1 g Saturated Fat; 30 mg Cholesterol; 200 mg Sodium; 42 g Total Carbohydrates; 1 g Dietary Fiber; 24 g sugars; 7 g Protein.