- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/back-door-cafe-s-wild-rice-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for cooking Wild Rice Soup from Johnstown, Pennsylvania's Back Door Cafe. This outstanding restaurant truly merits going out of your way for.
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped marjoram
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups butter
- 2 quarts light cream
- 2 cups seeded, diced tomatoes
- 8 cups cooked wild rice
- Yields About 1 1/2 Gallons
- Sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until translucent. Add stock and herbs. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer. Add cream, tomatoes and wild rice and simmer for about 4 minutes - do not allow to boil. Meanwhile, make a roux (see links below) with the flour and butter. Add several cups of soup to the roux, whisking constantly until blended. Add this mixture back into the soup, whisking until soup is slightly thickened. Serve immediately.