- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe to cook Polipetti in Salsa di Pomodoro or Baby Octopus in Tomato Sauce, from the Sopranos Family Cookbook.
- 2 pounds baby octopus (6 octopi)
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes or chopped canned Italian peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 6 to 12 friselle (black pepper biscuits) or slices toasted Italian bread
- Rinse the octopus and drain well. Remove the hard round beak at the base of the tentacles of each octopus.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the octopus, tomatoes, oil, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, the garlic, red pepper, and salt to taste. Bring sauce to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook for 15 minutes more, or until the octopus is tender when pierced with a knife and the sauce is thick.
- Sprinkle the friselle with water to soften them slightly. Divide the friselle, or slices of toast, among six plates. Top with the octopus and sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.