- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/authentic-navajo-fry-bread
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Authentic Navajo Fry Bread. The Navajo shape their fry bread in a circle with a center hole, much like a donut. For an authentic New Mexico experience, serve your Fry Bread with honey butter.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- oil for frying
- honey butter for spreading, optional (recipe links below)
- Pinch off 12 balls of dough and flatten each with your hand into 3-4 inch circles. Roll again to make the circles as thin as possible, 7-8 inches in diameter. The thinner the dough circles are, the better they puff in the oil. Poke a hole in the center of each circle with your finger.
- Dust the tops of the circles lightly with flour while oil heats in a wok or deep skillet to 375Â° F. Slip rounds one at a time into the hot oil and brown about 1 minute on each side, turning them with tongs or a slotted spatula. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drip honey over the top or spread with honey butter.