- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Apple City Barbecue Grand World Champion Ribs. "Life is too short for a half-rack." - MIKE MILLS
- 4 racks of ribs (about 2 pounds each)
- Magic Dust (see related links below for recipe)
- 4 cups apple juice in a spray bottle
- Apple City Barbecue Sauce (see related links below for recipe)
- Sprinkle the ribs liberally with Magic Dust, coating both sides. Put them in a shallow pan or on a cookie sheet and cover them with clear plastic wrap or a lid. Refrigerate them until you're ready to use them. I recommend letting them marinate for at least an hour. At the restaurant, we Dust the ribs up to a day in advance.
- Soak the apple wood chips in water for half an hour. Drain. Remove the grate and arrange the medium-hot coals in a grill or smoker. If you are using a grill, it must have a lid. Set an aluminum pan next to the coals as a drip pan. Spread out the wet wood chips on the coals. Replace the rack, close the grill, and check the temperature. It should be between 200 and 210° F. If the temperature is too high, open the lid to allow some heat to escape.
- Notice that the meat on a rack of ribs is on the top. The bottom, where you remove the membrane, is called the "bone side." Once the temperature is steady, place the ribs on the rack, bone side down. You want to cook them bone side down as much as possible. Turning them dries out the meat. If necessary, you can cut the racks of ribs in half to comfortably fit your grill.
- Cover and smoke the ribs for about 1 1/2 hours or until the ribs are done and tender. You'll want to check the ribs every 20 minutes or so. Examine them to see if the surface of the meat looks dry or moist. Ribs "sweat" about three times during the smoking process. The pores of the meat open, and this allows moisture to escape. This is when the seasoning from the dry rub and the smoke itself are reabsorbed into the meat. When they're sweating, mop or mist them with some apple juice and sprinkle them with a little more Magic Dust.
- Serves 4, or you can cut the racks in half to Serve 8
Opening the lid will lower the temperature; add more coals and wood chips as needed to maintain the temperature. About 10 minutes before you remove the ribs from the pit, mop them with the sauce. When you take them off the pit, mop again with sauce and sprinkle some more Magic Dust on them. Serve immediately.