Homemade orange glaze made with orange marmalade, orange juice and orange zest is a quick and easy way to make a meal pop with sweet and spicy goodness. I like to add this glaze to large cooked shrimp with the tails still on and serve it over rice. But not just any rice, rice that's made with coconut milk and a touch of shredded coconut. It's such a pretty dish too. Well, that is if you have time to look at it before digging in.
Orange-glazed shrimp and coconut rice recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water (for the rice)
- 5 dashes salt (for the rice)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 21 large cooked shrimp with the tails on
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and diced ginger root
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 dashes salt (for the glaze)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water (for the glaze)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a rice cooker, add the rice, coconut milk, water, salt and shredded coconut.
- Stir together and let cook while making the glazed shrimp.
- In a medium-size pan, add the marmalade, ginger root, orange juice, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and orange zest. Whisk together.
- Heat the pan on low heat and stir while it's warming.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the cornstarch and the water. Stir until it looks like a thin paste.
- Gradually stir in the cornstarch mixture with the glaze. Continue to cook the glaze until it thickens, stirring frequently.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add 2 small ladles of the glaze mixture. Add the shrimp and stir until the shrimp starts to lightly brown (about 4 minutes).
- When the shrimp are lightly browned, add the remaining glaze.
- Stir just enough until the shrimp are completed coated with the glaze, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the shrimp over the rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds.