Quinoa replaces rice in this dish and is mixed with fresh broccoli, cheese and baked into a healthy filling casserole. Prepare this dish ahead of time and just throw it in the oven when you get home from work keeping your evening meal stress free.
Broccoli cheese quinoa bake recipe
Adapted from The Cookin' Chicks
Yields 6 servings
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (plus extra for topping, optional)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup organic butter
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half and half or milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a medium-sized baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a sauce pot, add the butter and the crushed garlic cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until the garlic is translucent. Add in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper and mix constantly using a whisk. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture becomes a very light brown color.
- Slowly add in the half and half or milk and bring to a simmer. Once the mixture begins to thicken, whisk in the cheeses and continue to mix until smooth. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cooked quinoa and the broccoli. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle extra cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Allow to cool several minutes and serve.