These delicious trifles are elegant, decadent and taste just like the floats you had growing up. Although the straw completes the look of these beautiful desserts, you definitely need a spoon or fork to enjoy!
Stacked root beer float trifles
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons root beer extract
- 2 ounces fresh root beer
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
For the topping:
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- Root beer candies
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and sugar until smooth. Add in milk, butter and root beer extract. Whisk in the applesauce.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with batter. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make the trifles, crumble the cupcakes. Layer the cupcake crumbles and the ice cream, ending with the remaining 1/4 cup ice cream in a medium-size Mason jar. Top with a few additional crumbs and root beer candies. Place a straw in each trifle.