A meal in and of itself, this ceviche is inexpensive to make, easy and delicious. Served over a bed of your favorite greens, you have a wonderful, healthy meal.
Shrimp ceviche salad
- 1 pound fresh, good quality shrimp
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- Juice from 2 large lemons; about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 habanero pepper, finely diced (be careful about touching your eyes and face after touching the inside of this pepper)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers may be added for more color, if desired. Just finely dice them if you add to the recipe.
- Extra lime slices for garnish
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Spinach or arugula
- Cut the shrimp into bite-size pieces and place in a large glass bowl with the lime, lemon and orange juices.
- Add the garlic, red onion and pepper, tossing all to coat.
- Cover with clear wrap, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the refrigerator, uncover and add salt, pepper and cilantro, stirring gently to mix.
- Place spinach or arugula on the bottom of your plate, and then spoon the ceviche on top of the spinach/arugula mixture. Finish with a lime wedge and avocado slices for garnish.