That's right, these look like donuts but taste like cinnamon rolls. The donuts are baked, not fried, so they are perfectly fluffy and moist, and the tops are topped with a decadent cinnamon glaze and creamy icing. You may never want the normal cinnamon rolls again.
Cinnamon roll donuts
Recipe inspired by Top with Cinnamon
Yields 12 donuts
For the donut batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
For the cinnamon glaze:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and separated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
For the cinnamon roll glaze:
- 1-1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 donut pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice together. In another bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of the melted butter with the egg and heavy whipping cream. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter with the cinnamon, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla and cornstarch in a medium size pan. Whisk until a thick glaze forms. Pour about 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon mixture into the bottom of each donut pan.
- Pour the batter over the cinnamon mixture, filling the donut cavity about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly in the pan. Then, carefully remove the donuts and place on a wire cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and milk together. Once donuts have cooled slightly, drizzle with icing and garnish with walnuts.