This warm, cheesy broccoli beer soup is so great especially on a rainy day. It’s hearty and so delicious when you are looking for an easy comfort food recipe.
Homemade broccoli cheddar beer soup recipe
Adapted from food.com
Yield 4 servings
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle light ale beer
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained well
- 8 ounces fresh sharp cheddar cheese (we used Cabot brand), finely grated
- Extra grated cheddar, fresh parsley and sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, add the butter and stir until melted. Add in the 3 tablespoons of flour and stir continually until the mixture is starting to bubble. Add the onions and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the milk, the vegetable stock, beer and all of the seasonings. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add in the broccoli and cover allowing the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Finally add in the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted. Ladle into bowls and top with croutons and sliced green onions.
Note: If you prefer a creamier or less chunky soup, once your soup is cooked use a hand blender (also known as an immersion blender) and puree the soup right in the pot.