This dish contains the basic elements of chicken pot pie, but there's no fickle crust involved! You can serve it over biscuits, toast, or my favorite, waffles.
Chicken a la king
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 4 cups (1-inch cubed) poached chicken
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of the butter.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add the thyme sprig, and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the carrots and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain the sauce into the veggies and season with the salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Whisk in the milk or cream.
- Add the peas, pearl onions and chicken to the sauce, and bring to a simmer.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve over bread of some form or rice.