Super spicy chocolate wings
Chocolate wings sound kind of fussy. Maybe a little mild. They certainly don’t sound like hot, spicy wings. Not the kind that make you sweat from every pore for days. That’s probably a good thing, because these super spicy wings are that hot and since everyone is expecting them to be easy on the tongue, you can sit back and watch the steam erupt from your friends’ ears. Sometimes it’s the little things in life!
Spicy chocolate wings
Yields 24 wings
- 24 buffalo wings (drumettes, wingettes or both)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 habanero (preferably a chocolate habanero), minced
- 1 ghost chili, minced
- Oil for frying
- First, put the chicken in a bowl and cover liberally with salt and pepper.
- Let the chicken rest while you make the sauce.
- Place a bowl over a saucepan half-full of water.
- Bring the water to boil, and then put the chocolate chips and butter in the bowl.
- Stir until the butter and chocolate are melted.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar, broth, chipotles, habanero and ghost chili.
- The sauce should be thick like ketchup. If it is too thick, add a little broth or water. If too thin, pour it into a saucepan and let it reduce over medium heat.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat until a small piece of chicken bubbles violently.
- Fry the chicken in small batches and toss in the sauce.