Low-calorie baked buffalo chicken sandwiches
The worst part of going on a diet is giving up the foods you love. Sure, a lot of diets allow you some cheat days or a bad meal every now and then, but if you can get the flavors you love without having to use one of your cheat days, so much the better. Here, then, is a crunchy buffalo chicken sandwich topped with lots of spicy, low calorie buffalo sauce, that should help fend off any cravings for buffalo wings or fried chicken so that you can stay on your diet and still enjoy what you eat.
Baked buffalo chicken sandwiches
Yields 4 buffalo chicken sandwiches
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup hot sauce*
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-calorie coconut milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat bleu cheese crumbles
- 4 whole wheat buns
* Don't use Tobasco — it's too thin. Find a thicker hot sauce like Frank's Hot Sauce or Valencia.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts out so they are roughly the same size as the buns.
- Cover liberally with salt and pepper.
- Mix the hot sauce, cornstarch, and low-calorie coconut milk together in a bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken first in the hot sauce, then in the bread crumbs.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 16 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, mix the cream cheese and the bleu cheese.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the chicken 2 minutes per side to crisp it up.
- Once done, serve the chicken on the bun with a layer of bleu cheese dressing.
- For even fewer calories, only eat the bottom of the bun.