Traditional Brunswick stew is made with a hearty tomato base and then filled with vegetables and gamey meats, like rabbit. However, we know rabbit isn't easy to find so you can sub in chicken, pork or beef. We love chicken since it's a lighter meat and a crowd pleaser. Because the broth has a bit of a kick, serve this over rice or egg noodles!
Easy crock-pot Brunswick stew
Serves about 8
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 14 ounces green chile diced tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped parsnips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup white cannelloni beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place all of the ingredients into the ceramic basin of a crock-pot. Heat on low for about 6 hours, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crock-pot and place into a bowl. Using two forks, shred them into bite-size pieces. Place the shredded chicken back into the stew.
- Heat another 30 minutes and serve immediately with chopped avocado!