One of these will instantly warm up your cold, tired bones after a long day shoveling snow (or in our case, long day watching our husbands shovel snow). Plus, they could make fabulous cocktail party appetizers if you cut them into bite-size pieces! After one bite of these, you'll never eat a regular grilled cheese again.
Steak & horseradish cream grilled cheese
For the sandwich:
- 1 pound flank steak
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- 8 tablespoons of butter
- 4 slices vintage cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons horseradish cream (recipe below)
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
For the horseradish cream:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softening, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are fully cooked and the onions are golden brown.
- Liberally season the steak with salt and pepper. Using the same pan you did for the onions and mushrooms, add the steak and another 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the steak until browned on both sides and rare in the middle, about 3 minutes on each side. Let sit for about 5 minutes and then slice into strips.
- Butter the sourdough bread on both sides. Layer the steak, onions, mushrooms and cheese on one piece of bread. Slather the 1 tablespoon of horseradish cream on the other piece of the bread and press down.
- Grill each sandwich on a panini press for about 1 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and oozing out.