Grandma's traditional banana bread is good, but this is boozy, which instantly makes it a little better. Not only that, the spice in the rum gives each bite an extra flavor boost. Paired with the perfect rum glaze and a tablespoon of butter, you have the world's best breakfast. And since you already have rum in your bread, we won't judge if you add a little rum to your breakfast drink too.
Boozy banana bread
Serves about 8
For the bread:
- 1-2/3 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3-1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Captain Morgan spiced rum
For the glaze:
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Captain Morgan rum
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard size loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk the canola oil, applesauce, ripe bananas, Greek yogurt, vanilla and spiced rum. Pour the wet mixture into the well of the dry mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the cake cool on a wire cooling rack when done.
- To make the glaze, place the melted butter, rum, sugar and water in a medium-size saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thick, about 4 minutes.
- Once the banana bread has cooled, drizzle with sauce and enjoy!