How to make perfect cheesy grits
On their own, grits don't have a lot of flavor. However, when mixed with cheese and cream, they become the perfect cheese delivery vehicle. Here's how to make a brilliantly cheesy version that would do any grits fan or gourmet proud.
Yields 8 servings
- 1 cup coarse ground grits
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cup heavy cream
- 6 strips smoky bacon
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the broiler.
- Pour the grits, broth, and heavy cream into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook the grits 15 to 20 minutes or until thick.
- While the grits are cooking, put the bacon in a skillet and cook it over medium-high heat.
- When the bacon has reached the desired thickness, remove it from the heat, reserve the grease and chop the bacon.
- When the grits are done, mix in the Parmesan and Gruyere cheese, nutmeg, cayenne and paprika.
- Put the grits into an oven-safe container that has been greased with cooking spray and top with cheddar cheese and panko bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven and broil the grits until the cheese is melted and serve.