How to make stuffed chicken thighs
Yields 8 thighs
A stuffed chicken thigh is a thing of beauty if you can do it right. To make them, you have to channel your inner sword master and separate the thighbone from the rest of the chicken meat. The result is a perfect canvas for adding lots of fillings, like this pork lover's trio of cream cheese, bacon and sausage.
Don't think you can debone a chicken thigh? Have no fear! With these instructions and a little practice, you'll be a champ in no time. Besides, even a poorly deboned chicken thigh with bacon is great!
- 4 strips bacon
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 green onion greens, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Cooking spray
- First, cook the bacon and sausage in one pan until the bacon is crispy and the sausage is cooked through. Set the breakfast meats aside to cool.
- Next, it's time to debone the chicken. For this, you will need a very sharp knife.
- The first step is to find the long bone running through the middle of the thigh. You may need to make an incision into the meat of the chicken to get to it.
- Do your best to pull away the meat thigh with your fingers, then make an incision along the bone. This should start to separate the chicken from the bone.
- The second step is to pull on the bone so that it separates from the chicken.
- Third, cut away any smaller bones or tendons that are holding the bone in place. Pull the bone free.
- Finally, trim any bits of fat or tendon left.
- Repeat for all the thighs.
- Now, with your culinary canvases, it's time to make stuffed thighs. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the bacon, sausage, cream cheese, garlic powder and green onion greens. Spoon some of the mixture onto each thigh, then close and wrap with twine. Repeat for all thighs, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the olive oil into a skillet and get it hot over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, skin side down for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 minutes then put the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes or until it is done all the way through.