Chocolate cream puffs with salted caramel
Yields about 20 puffs
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Sweet cream stuffed inside flakey pasty shells doused in rich chocolate ganache and salted caramel, what more could you want out of a dessert? Bring Paris to you with these sweet, salty and indulgent bites!
For the pastry:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling:
- 7 ounces vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Dash of powdered sugar
For the ganache/caramel:
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup homemade caramel sauce
- Seal salt
- To make the filling for the puffs, mix the vanilla pudding, cream, milk and dash of powdered sugar together until thick. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- To make the puff pastry, bring the water and butter to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in flour and salt until a dough ball forms. Transfer the mixture to a stand mixer with a hook attachment and add eggs and vanilla until fully combined.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Roll the dough into little balls (about 2 - 3 inches) and drop onto the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the filling from the fridge and pour into a piping bag. Poke a little hole into the top of each pastry shell (once they've cooled) and pipe filling into them. You want to pipe enough so they are filled but not too much or they'll explode out of the shell.
- Put the pastries into the fridge and chill for 20 minutes. While the pastries chill, prepare the ganache by melting the chocolate in saucepan over medium heat. Add the whipping cream and mix until the mixture is fully combined. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Take the puffs out of the fridge and carefully dip the tops of each into the ganache. Place in the fridge until the ganache is hardened, about 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, drizzle with the warm caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt. Chill again or serve warm and enjoy!