Innocently celebrate National Rum Day on Aug. 16 with these rum-flavored breakfast treats. One might usually be scolded for consuming rum first thing in the morning, but in these muffins, it's perfectly acceptable. They're buttery and soft, and only contain a subtle hint of rum.
Butter rum muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter rum flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon butter rum flavoring
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Milk, if needed
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line 12 regular muffin cups or six mega-muffin cups.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- In a third bowl, combine the milk and butter rum flavoring.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, ending with flour mixture and combining only until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for regular muffins (or 30-35 minutes for mega-muffins) or until golden.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine 1/4 teaspoon of butter rum flavoring and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. If the mixture gets too thick, add a little milk.
- Brush the glaze over warm muffins and sprinkle with coarse sugar for a tasty finish.