Chocolate bacon chili
Yields 8 servings
Chili purists might have something to say about chocolate and bacon chili. It's not very traditional and you're not going to find it in any classic texts on how to make a great bowl of the Tex-Mex favorite.
You might find a chili recipe with bacon in it, but why stop there when you can add chocolate to your chili, too, and get a brand new dish that will rewrite everything you think you know about the stuff.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- Pour the olive oil into a soup pot and get it hot over medium heat. Add the bacon and slowly render out its fat until the bacon is dry and crispy. Remove the bacon.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions are ready, add the ground beef, oregano, nutmeg and turmeric. Cook the beef until all traces of pink are gone.
- Add the chocolate a few ounces at a time and let it melt before adding more.
- Pour in the tomatoes and cook them for 3 minutes before adding the beef broth and chili powder.
- Mix in the chili powder, cook for a few more minutes (until the chili powder is well-incorporated) and serve.