Classic recipes get an adult makeover
Hypothetically, if you threw a party, do you think your friends would enjoy mac and cheese, milkshakes and pigs in a blanket? See it's funny, few adults will admit it, but just about everyone loves those old classics of childhood, even if they won't say so in public. If you don't believe it, just make these kicked up adult versions of the dishes and see how fast they disappear, even if no one fesses up to actually eating any of them.
Mac and cheese
Yields 8 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds macaroni
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pancetta, cut into small cubes
- 3 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups grated panko bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the macaroni in well-salted water until it is just al dente. (You don't want soggy noodles.) Drain immediately.
- While the macaroni is cooking, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the pancetta for about 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from the skillet.
- Place the macaroni in a large bowl and then pour the pancetta, cheddar cheese and Romano cheese over it. Mix well.
- Grease a baking dish with butter and then pour the macaroni into it. Top with panko and pour the olive oil over the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
Adult pigs in a blanket
Yields 16 pigs in a blanket
- Cooking spray
- 8 pop can croissants, halved
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 hot dogs, halved
- Preheat your oven to the temperature indicated by the pop can croissants.
- Spray a baking sheet down with cooking spray and lay out the croissant halves.
- Brush a little mustard on each one, then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Place a hot dog in the middle of each croissant and roll the croissant around the hot dog.
- Bake according to the directions for the croissant and serve.
Yields 1 milkshake
- 3 scoops vanilla custard
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 ounce Bailey's or chocolate liqueur*
- 1 ounce crème de menthe*
Note: For a change, you could use crème de banana and fresh banana slices.
- Pour all of the ingredients in a glass and stir with a cold wooden spoon.