One-skillet tuna noodle casserole
Serves about 6
Who said comfort food had to weigh you down? Enjoy it more often with this light, easy and delicious meal! Plus, it's all made in one pot, so clean up is a breeze!
Recipe provided by the Realistic Nutritionist.
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces (about 2-1/2 cans) chunk light tuna, drained
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 cups light cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup peas
- 5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Boil pasta in a large pot with a dash of salt until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove, rinse and set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes. Add flour and coat to cover the veggies. Pour wine in and cook until most of it cooks out, about 4 minutes.
- Add in milk, cream, peas, and tuna. Let it simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Liberally season with salt, basil and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in noodles, cheeses, parsley and basil. Serve warm.