Grilled Caesar salad
Grilling Romaine coaxes an unexpected sweetness out of the crisp leaves, and infuses a smoky aroma throughout the tangy dressing and salty bites of Parmesan.
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
Caesar dressing ingredients:
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 small anchovy fillet
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Juice from half a small lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
- Cut the Romaine in half, or in quarters, lengthwise. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Brush olive oil over both sides of chicken, sprinkle with salt. Place chicken on grill, cook 6 minutes on each side or until chicken registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from heat. Set aside 10 minutes (temperature will rise to 165 degrees F). Place Romaine on grill, cook until lightly charred. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a cutting board, crush the garlic, a pinch of Kosher salt, and the anchovy fillet into a paste with the back of your knife. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add mustard, sour cream, lemon, vinegar and whisk until it forms an emulsion. Add the olive oil in a slow steam while whisking. Season with additional Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Divide Romaine and chicken in half and plate, drizzle with dressing. Serve at room temperature.