While the recipe is good and reliable, the most important thing is the technique one must hone and perfect!
Beautiful buttermilk biscuits
Makes about 10
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 tablespoons buttermilk
- In a bowl, using a pastry cutter, fork or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour.
- Make a small well in the mixture and fill it with buttermilk.
- Stir briefly and add more buttermilk if the dough is too dry to come together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead just until dough comes together and pat out to about a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out the biscuits and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler for the last minute or so to brown the tops, but watch them closely -- nobody wants burned biscuits!
Honey cinnamon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour to harden before using.