May is National Hamburger Month, and that’s appropriate since it’s the time when grills really start getting their workouts. This recipe for hamburger patties will awaken all your senses!
Makes 4 patties
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Place the ground beef, onion, cilantro, chipotle chile pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Form into four patties.
- Cook the hamburgers on the preheated grill until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Place the cheese slices on the patties 2 minutes before they are ready. Serve on the toasted buns.
- Use ground turkey, chicken, lamb or pork instead of beef, or a mixture thereof.
- Top with any or all of the following: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, avocado slices, pickled jalapenos, salsa, sour cream, ketchup, pico de gallo, spicy mustard.
- Skip the toasted bun and chop up the grilled burger and put it and your choice of toppings into a tortilla wrap for a lower carb alternative.