Complex flavors and textures created by unique combinations of ingredients like mustard seeds and golden raisins make this condiment a rare find!
Chomp-worthy pear chutney
Makes about 7 pints
- 4 quarts pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups brown sugar, based on your tastes
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 hot red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and cook slowly until thick, about 40 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Pour the hot brine over the beans, making sure to leave a 1/2-inch headspace.
- Wipe the rims and apply the lids (which have been sitting in a small saucepan of simmering water for at least 10 minutes) and rings.
- Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.