- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Scant (a little less than) 4 cups milk
- Spray an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick spray, toss in the shortening and place into an oven preheated to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, eggs, milk and mix until combined.
- Remove the melted shortening from the oven and pour into the mixture. Stir until blended.
- Pour batter into the skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until it is golden brown on top.
- Turn out onto a plate, slice, serve, butter and consume.
Ways to make your cornbread more exciting
*Sweet Southern cornbread: If you want a sweeter batch of cornbread, add a few tablespoons of granulated sugar to the recipe. You may want to turn your oven temperature down and bit and start checking the cornbread for doneness a few minutes earlier.
*Corny cornbread: Try adding 1/2 cup creamed corn or 3/4 cup whole kernel corn for a unique and delicious texture.
*Chile cornbread: Add 1/2 cup chopped green chiles or 1/4 cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers.
*Cheesy cornbread: Add about 3/4 cup cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese to the mix. Again, reduce the oven temperature by about 15 degrees and start checking for doneness about 5 minutes earlier than suggested.
*Confetti cornbread: Add about 1/4 cup of each of the following: diced tomatoes, diced onion, chopped cilantro, diced red peppers.
*Bacon cornbread: Pan fry 3-4 slices of bacon, then either crumble or slice it and add it to the cornbread mixture.