Whether you're poor or not, this recipe is guaranteed to make even the richest person happy. Growing up, this was a special snack we made often. It has been brought as a dessert to potlucks, served as a late-night snack for board game nights, has been made for sleepovers with friends, or as an after-school snack.
Now I still I find myself craving this and indulge myself. It only takes minutes to make, can be eaten warm from the oven or cold from the freezer (my favorite). Crumbled on ice-cream, it makes a delicious, crunchy topping and can be used even as a base for homemade ice-cream cake. However, once it's made, it won't last long.
Poor man's toffee
- 16 soda crackers
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Bring butter and sugar to a boil on the stove.
- While it's heating up, lay out about 16 (or so) crackers, flat onto a 9 x 9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over it.
- Once the sugar mixture has boiled, spoon it over the crackers.
- Top with slivered almonds.
- Bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Let it cool and then put it in the freezer/fridge until the crackers have hardened. Enjoy!