While some may sniff at the use of packaged pudding, its presence lends to the simplicity of the dish. If you want something comforting, you probably want it now — why do all that work to make a custard and then wait for it to set up?
Classic banana pudding
Makes 8 generous portions
- 1 large (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) tub whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 3 bananas, super-ripe but not brown
- In a medium bowl, prepare the pudding as instructed on its box.
- Beat in the sour cream, making sure to blend well.
- Fold in the whipped topping just until no white streaks are present.
- In the bottom of a trifle bowl or other serving dish, put down a layer of vanilla wafers.
- Top with about a 1/4 of the pudding mixture and a layer containing half of the sliced bananas.
- Top this with another 1/4 of the pudding.
- The next additions will be a layer of cookies, a layer of pudding, the rest of the bananas and the rest of the pudding.
- For decorative purposes, adorn the top of the pudding with more wafers in an aesthetically-pleasing manner.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours. However, this gets better the longer it sits.