Yields 2 main course servings or 4 appetizer servings
Crunchy, salty and earthy, it's hard to beat tempura asparagus. It is delicious, but still light because of the airiness of the tempura batter. Plus, there is so much you can do with tempura fried asparagus. By itself, it's great as a meal or a side dish. You can also roll it as sushi or serve it with eggs for breakfast. Even better, it is so simple to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups soda water
- 1 pound asparagus
- Oil for frying
- Additional salt for seasoning the asparagus
- Mix the flour, eggs, salt and soda water together to form a batter.
- Cut the last two inches off the asparagus and then dip it in the batter. Make sure the asparagus is completely submerged, then set it aside to rest.
- Pour the oil into a pot and let it get hot over medium-high heat. It will be ready when a ball of batter furiously bubbles when gently dropped into the pot.
- Fry the asparagus in small batches until golden brown, sprinkling salt on top of it after it's done.