Fry a batch of these delicious doughnuts this year around Mardi Gras for an incredible breakfast everyone will love. Plus, they pair beautifully with a morning cocktail.
Homemade baked beignets
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
Yields about 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups bread flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- Oil for deep frying
- About 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes (mixture will look bubbly).
- In another bowl mix eggs, milk and salt together. Mix eggs into the yeast mixture, stirring well. In a large bowl, measure out flour. Add three cups of the flour to the yeast mixture, stirring well. Add in the butter and then stir in remaining flour.
- Remove dough and knead on a floured surface until it's softened. Place dough into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm room for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil over high heat (or preheat deep fryer to 350 degrees F). Roll dough into 1-inch squares. Place in oil and fry until golden brown, flipping constantly. Remove from oil, place on a paper towel. Then, roll in powdered sugar.