Chocolate cherry cordial pancakes
Most people are familiar with cherry cordials the candy, but what about cherry cordials the pancake? Sure, maybe cherry cordial pancakes aren't quite a household name yet, but there's no reason they shouldn't be when they blend the sweetness of cherry and chocolate with the rich, buttery flavor of pancakes.
Try them. You'll never go back to the candy again. Or regular pancakes.
Yields 12 pancakes
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- Butter or cooking spray
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- Powdered sugar
- Stir together the pancake mix, milk, eggs and cherry juice until you have a thick batter without lumps.
- Put a skillet on the stove over medium-high heat and grease with butter.
- When it's hot (as evidenced by the butter foaming), pour as many 4-inch cakes as will fit in the skillet.
- Cook them until bubbles start to form on the uncooked side of the cake (about 90 seconds), then sprinkle chocolate chips on the uncooked portion of the pancake. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat by adding the butter to the griddle and cooking the cakes. Cover finished pancakes with a towel and keep them warm in an oven on the lowest setting possible.
- When all pancakes have been made, add butter to the skillet again and sauté the maraschino cherries until they are warm and use them and the powdered sugar to top the pancakes when serving.